Teenager jailed after fatal Northwick Park stabbing over drugs

A teenage boy has been jailed for life after fatally stabbing another teenager over a row regarding payment for drugs.

The 16-year-old boy, who cannot be named due to his age, was sentenced to life imprisonment to serve a minimum of 16 years over the murder of Jamalie Maleek Deacon Matthew, aged 17.

Mr Matthew, an aspiring law student from Wembley, left college on November 12 last year to meet a friend and head to Northwick Park.

His friend had received a phone call from an unknown number – who turned out to be the defendant – asking to meet him to buy some cannabis.

Once in the park, the pair were approached by the defendant. The friend handed over a number of bags of cannabis but the defendant then refused to hand over any money.

He instead drew a knife to threaten them, and in response Mr Matthew drew a copper pipe that he had in his bag to defend himself. He was then stabbed in the abdomen and the right shin.

Witnesses told the court that he was hunched over holding his stomach and barely made it a short distance before collapsing.

Paramedics and officers arrived at the scene, but despite their best efforts he was pronounced dead at the scene.

The defendant walked off after the stabbing and was later traced in the Stonebridge area, but he ran on to a railway line to get away.

Four days later he handed himself in at Colindale Police Station and was arrested.

CCTV enquiries and phone data showed that the defendant had been in the area twenty minutes before the stabbing and had boasted over text that he was planning to rob the two for cannabis.

The entire attack was captured on CCTV, from the defendant arriving in the park to the three boys meeting and the fight that then ensued.

Detective Chief Inspector Linda Bradley said: “Nothing can bring Jamalie back to his family and our thoughts are with them as the legal process now comes to a close.

“No family should have to go through such a needless and senseless loss, especially in such horrific circumstances. This was made worse still by the not guilty plea entered by the defendant who, despite the overwhelming evidence against him, made the family endure the trial process.

“Today’s sentencing is the result of a meticulous and diligent investigation by my officers and I thank them for their commitment to getting justice for Jamalie and his family.

“I am proud that their efforts were recognised by Judge Dean, presiding, who awarded Judge’s Commendations to Detective Sergeant Okiki Okunola and Detective Constable Atiq Haque for their efforts.”

In a victim impact statement read in court, Jamalie’s mum said: “Jamalie was the most loving and caring son and brother. He was happy and a joy to be around. He was polite and kind and I was so proud to call him my son.

“He was never violent, hurtful or bad to anyone. He would always see the best in everyone and was fiercely loyal to his family. He was forgiving in nature.

“Jamalie was naturally musically gifted. He played the guitar including classical, bass and acoustic, and he also played the keyboard. He had asked for a bass guitar for his 18th birthday which was only twelve days after his senseless murder.

“I’m grateful I have videos of Jamalie playing the guitar. Although sad, I find comfort watching them. Jamalie also enjoyed playing football and was part of the school football league.”

Harrow Times | Local News