Man jailed after trying to attack police officers at Harrow

A man who tried to headbutt a police officer and kick other officers has been jailed.

Reece Narayan, 22, of Bessborough Road, Harrow, appeared in court on Monday (March 22) following the incident where he lashed out at emergency workers last year.

Narayan called police on March 20 last year to Harrow on the Hill Station, but as soon as he saw officers and medic arriving, he left the station.

The officers returned to their vehicle and then spotted Narayan by the station entrance.

Narayan, who is a regular caller to the emergency services, was approached by the officers to arrest him for misusing the 999 system.

But when he was placed in handcuffs, the man began to resist and attempted to headbutt an officer while screaming and violently kicking police at the scene.

The Metropolitan Police say that Narayan repeatedly resisted efforts to move him to a police van, and he attempted to bite an officer.

He also tried to elbow another officer.

The man was later taken to hospital after he explained he took pills to overdose, and while he was in hospital police say he was aggressively screaming and shouting at officers.

Inspector Sammi Elfituri, from the Met’s North West Command Unit, which covers Harrow, said: “Narayan is a known abuser of the 999 system and has previously assaulted officers. Yet police officers responded to him with the intention of providing help and assistance. Instead of accepting their help, he abused, threatened and assaulted them causing injury.

“This sentencing shows that we do not tolerate any abuse of our officers – offenders will be dealt with and that violence has consequences.”

At court Narayan pleaded guilty to three counts of attempted assault to emergency service workers, assault by beating an emergency service worker, and using threatening behaviour with the intent to cause fear of violence.

Narayan was sentenced to a seven-month custodial sentence.

Harrow Times | Local News