Harrow man jailed for shooting and arson offences

A man from Harrow is among three jailed for their roles in two shootings.

On November 3, 2019, two of the jailed men were involved in a shooting that targeted a parked car on Augustine Road, Harrow, which harmed a 39-year-old driver.

The driver was left with potentially life-threatening injuries and was taken to hospital for medical treatment.

The court heard that Leon Trow, of Harmony Terrace in Harrow and Amar Bhargava of Cavalier Close in Luton were involved in this shooting.

Then on March 23, 2020, the two men and Lee Murray of Cornelius Crescent in Milton Keynes, poured petrol on a car parked at Carylon Avenue in Harrow.

They then shot the car to cause “substantial damage” before making off in a black Smart car, says the Metropolitan Police.

The black Smart car was linked to Murray and a warrant was carried out at his home address, where the shotgun was found as well as the weapon used in the November 2019 shooting.

Further enquiries revealed that both firearms had been bought by using a fraudulent firearms certificate by Bhargava and Trow from locations across England.

Trow, 27, was found guilty of three counts of possessing a firearm, possessing ammunition, three counts of possessing a fraudulent firearm certificate and possessing a firearm with intent to endager life.

He was sentenced to a total of 16 years and six months’ imprisonment.

Bhargava, 28, was sentenced to life with a minimum of 25 years and four months’ imprisonment after being found guilty of attempted murder at an earlier hearing.

He was also sentenced to 20 years for possessing a firearm with intent to endanger life, to be served concurrently, as well as further sentences for other firearms offences.

Murray, 43, pleaded guilty to two counts of possession of a firearm and one count of possession of ammunition and was sentenced to six years in prison.

He was found not guilty of possession of a firearm with intent to cause fear of violence.

Detective Constable Steve Renny, of the Met’s Specialist Crime Command, said: “The sentences handed out today are a reflection of the seriousness of these crimes and we are pleased these three men are now behind bars and unable to cause further harm.

“The victim shot in his car will have to live with the consequences of that night for the rest of his life and it is only by sheer luck he was not fatally injured. He and the owner of the car in the second incident were completely innocent and targeted in a case of mistaken identity.

“Firearms have no place on our streets and we will continue to seek out those who carry and supply them in order to make London a safer place.”

Harrow Times | Local News